Friday, April 17, 2009

Two years...today!

April 17, 2007 was a horrible day but April 17, 2009 is a celebration!

Two years ago today, I was diagnosed with stage III breast cancer. Life as I knew it was shattered into a million pieces and thrown into a million different directions. I had to go through 9 months of chemotherapy in which I lost my hair, had to undergo a disfiguring surgery, and had 7 weeks of radiation that literally fried my skin. Not only did I have to go through cancer treatment but I also had a precious newborn and 2 other small children to take care of. According to the statistics; the odds were not in my favor. But by the grace of God, I’m here today…2 years later. I’m putting the pieces back together. My hair has grown back, that tiny premature baby is now a cute toddler, and life seems to be back to normal. It has become a new normal. I still deal with the challenges of a cancer survivor. I see the scars every day. I feel the pain. I get a monthly treatment. I live with tremendous fear of what the future holds for me and my family! But despite all of that, I appreciate life and all that it entails, so much more than I ever did 2 years ago. I love my life; it truly is a wonderful life.

I’m not only a breast cancer survivor. I am a breast cancer warrior. I have been fighting breast cancer now for 2 years and now with a stage IV diagnosis, I will be fighting breast cancer for the long haul. I will be in some kind of treatment for the rest of my life. Right now, it’s non-invasive and a very low key treatment. But one day, the cancer will become immune to this treatment and I will have to go through chemo and/or radiation again. I need a cure. But for now, the cancer is stable. I am strong and otherwise healthy. I feel great, alive and blessed!

Hugs and Smiles!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

You are such an inspiration!!

Lots of love and prayers,
Jennifer

Unknown said...

Yes Jual alot has changed in these two years. April 16th I found out a beautiful young girl whom I had known since she was in elementary school was shot and killed at Va. Tech and then the very next day I was informed of your cancer.
You really are amazing to me. I am so glad you are doing so much better now. I will continue to pray to God each night to help you through this and to continue to give you the strength you obviously have. And I will also keep praying for a cure.I do believe he is hearing us all!
Love ya, Cecelia
Let me know anytime you need me to babysit if I am avaiable I will come. They are such precious little ones!

Angie said...

Jual, Congratulations on being happy and healthy! I am so proud that you have taken the "high" road and are so positive. Enjoy the spring. Hope to see you soon and keep posting the blogs!